Gradescope is a rubric-based grading application that offers instructors online and artificial intelligence-assisted grading and feedback tools that are designed to streamline and standardize paper-based, digital, and code assignments. Gradescope makes it easier for instructors to quickly and flexibly grade assignments and gain additional insights about student learning in many areas of study, including STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math), economics, and business.
gradescope Heading link
- Gradescope is FERPA compliant
- Gradescope supports the latest and one previous version of the major browsers – See a list of the browsers Gradescope supports
- Gradescope supports LaTeX
- Gradescope supports multiple assignments types
- Read more about how Gradescope benefit students, instructors, and TAs
Gradescope is committed to continually providing an accessible experience to users. Currently, it has been tested with the screen reader JAWS 2020, exclusive use of the keyboard, and manual inspection of code and Accessibility API output.
For detailed information on Gradescope’s accessibility compliance, please visit their Turnitin Gradescope Accessibility Conformance Report. This report covers the degree of conformance for the following accessibility standard/guidelines: Level A and level AA.
Make sure to view the tutorials on this page or register for training before starting to use Gradescope in your classroom.
Instructor Access for Gradescope
- Login into Blackboard.
- Go into the Original View course that you want to use Gradescope in
- Under Course Management, click on Course Tools
- Select Gradescope tool.
- Or go into the Ultra View course that you want to use Gradescope in
- Under the Details & Actions panel, click on Books & Tools
- Select Gradescope tool.
- Opening the Gradescope tool will automatically create and activate an instructor account.
- You will receive an email to set a password, but there is no need to create one, as you can access Gradescope directly in Blackboard.
- Launching Gradescope through a Blackboard course will automatically link the course to Gradescope.
Adding Gradescope Access to Your Course
- You can add the Gradescope tool to your Original View course by adding a tool link to the navigation panel or selecting the tool in the content area.
- In an Ultra View course, you can add Gradescope in the content area by selecting the Books & Tools section then selecting Gradescope.
Adding Students in Gradescope
- You will have to add students to the roster in Gradescope for them to be able to access assignments.
- In the Gradescope Class Roster page, there is a Sync Blackboard Roster option that when clicked will sync students to the Gradescope course.
- It also recognizes if a student is a TA, and will mark the student as such.
- If students enroll or drop out of classes, you should click Sync Blackboard Roster again to ensure new or dropped students get synced.
- What is Gradescope (2 min video)
- UIC’s Gradescope Benefits Infographic
- Getting Started Videos for Instructors (collection of all videos)
- STEM Focused Workshop Recording | Spring 2021
- Non-STEM Workshop Recording | Spring 2021
- Gradescope Panel: Streamline & Standardize Assignment & Grading | Guest instructors: Martina Bode (LAS), Yeow Siow (COE), and Chris Kanich (COE) | August 5, 2020