Blackboard Learn is the centrally-supported learning management system used by faculty and students at UIC. There are two apps for Blackboard users. The Blackboard app is available for students to receive mobile updates, participate in course-related activities, and view grades. The Blackboard Instructor app allows instructors to view the course content, grade assignments, and use Blackboard Collaborate.
links to Blackboard
Find Answers to Common Questions
Student enrollments and faculty assignments are handled automatically by the system. It may take up to 48 hours for new student enrollments to be reflected in course sites.
Technology Solutions creates Blackboard course sites for most CRN-related courses, as reflected in the course catalog, 60 days prior to the start of every semester. Sites are made unavailable to students by default, and instructors determine when to make their courses available.
- Request content to be copied from a previous course site or copy the content by themselves from previous teaching assignments.
- Build a custom site by adding their own course menu items or by requesting an exemplary course shell template to be imported into their course site.
In special situations, instructors can:
- Request the merge of course sections
- Request a Non-CRN related site
With Blackboard Learn, instructors can:
- Create or upload text, audio, video, and interactive content for students to access online. Content can be added using Blackboard Learn tools or using third party software that integrates with Blackboard. You should always create content that is accessible to all students. Below are the most common sources of content:
- Text, audio, or video directly added into a content area using the Blackboard Learn Content Editor tool
- Video creation and screen capture using Panopto
- Lecture capture content via Echo360
- Multimedia content via the Blackboard Learn Mashups tool
- Interactive content using Adobe Captivate 9 and other eLearning authoring tools
- Recorded webinar content using Blackboard Collaborate
- Slides, documents, quiz questions, and other resources from course cartridges that publishers make available as part of textbooks
- Communicate, interact, and collaborate with students via course announcements, email, discussion board threads, blog posts, and other collaboration tools
- Assess concept mastery through the use of tests , assignments , and other tools that enable instructors to record and assess students’ work in a variety of ways. A Grade Center column is created automatically when an assessment is created, and grades are populated as instructors grade assignments. The Grade Center can be configured to export final grades in the format required for the XE Faculty Grade module
Learn more about the benefits of using Blackboard by watching the Why Blackboard video (2:19).
Content Types Integrated Tools Text, Audio, and Video Use the Blackboard Learn Content Editor tool to directly add any of these features into a content Lecture Capture Record your lecture and make it available with Echo 360 ALP Multimedia Include videos in your course using Panopto Interactive Content Make interactive content for online and blended learning using Camtasia, Articulate, or Panopto Host and Record Webinars Use Blackboard Collaborate to hold a remote class session Slides, Documents, Quiz Questions Upload textbook material using course cartridges provided by your textbook provider
more info 1
To access Blackboard Learn , students, faculty and staff must use their UIC NetID (do not append @uic.edu after the NetID) and common password . Simply log in to uic.blackboard.com and access your course sites.
Blackboard provides a virtual extension of your physical classroom and allows for secure, private, online communication of FERPA-sensitive information in addition to group spaces where students and instructors can interact and exchange information that is not FERPA-sensitive. Restrictions that apply to your classroom teaching also apply in the Blackboard Learn environment, such as not allowing students to see others’ grades or graded work and not using external email to communicate FERPA-sensitive information.
more info 2
Blackboard does not warrant or provide any assurances that your use of the Products will comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
Service Level Agreement
|Service Request Fulfillment Time||Under 2 business days, unless in-person training/discussion is required, or escalation to the vendor is required|
|Incident Resolution Time||Under 2 business days, unless in-person training/discussion is required, or escalation to the vendor is required|
|Maintenance Window(s)||Weekly maintenance window: Friday, 1:00am - 5:00am Approved Technology Solutions maintenance window(s): it.uic.edu/services-support/status/|
|Service Notification Channel(s)||Approved Technology Solutions maintenance window(s) Direct emails to campus users. LMS Login Page: uic.blackboard.com|
|Reviewed to Ensure SLA Meets Business Requirements||Provisional SLA - Currently under IT Governance review|
|Date Reviewed||Provisional SLA - Currently under IT Governance review|
|Service Owner: Elizabeth Romero Fuerte|