Blackboard Learn is the centrally-supported learning management system used by faculty and students at UIC. There are two apps for Blackboard users. The Blackboard app is available for students to receive mobile updates, participate in course-related activities, and view grades. The Blackboard Instructor app allows instructors to view the course content, grade assignments, and use Blackboard Collaborate.
To access Blackboard Learn , students and instructors must use their UIC NetID (do not append @uic.edu after the NetID) and password. Blackboard course sites are created for most CRN-related courses, as reflected in the course catalog, 60 days prior to the start of every semester. Sites are made unavailable to students by default, and instructors determine when to make their courses available to their students.
links to Blackboard
Blackboard course sites are created for most CRN-related courses 60 days prior to the start of every semester. Sites are made unavailable to students by default, and instructors determine when to make their courses available to their students.
Student enrollments and faculty assignments are handled automatically by the system. It may take up to 48 hours for new student enrollments to be reflected in course sites.
- Instructors are added at the time courses are created.
- Students are added 2 weeks prior of the start of the term
- Course Site Copy – Request to copy Blackboard content from one course site to another.
- Course Site Template – Request a template to help you start your Blackboard course with built-in best practices in instructional design.
- Change Multiple Course Sites – Merge multiple course sites into a single Blackboard course.
- Course Quota Increase – Each course site in Blackboard is restricted to a size limit of 2 GB for course materials. This quota is necessary to properly manage storage resources and ensure adequate system performance. If more storage space is needed, the quota can be increased in 1 GB increments by submitting a request here.
- Create or upload text, audio, video, and interactive content for students to access online. Content can be added using Blackboard Learn tools or using third party software that integrates with Blackboard. You should always create content that is accessible to all students.
- Communicate, interact, and collaborate with students via course announcements, email, discussion board threads, blog posts, and other collaboration tools
- Assess concept mastery through the use of tests , assignments , and other tools that enable instructors to record and assess students’ work in a variety of ways. A Grade Center column is created automatically when an assessment is created, and grades are populated as instructors grade assignments. The Grade Center can be configured to export final grades in the format required for the XE Faculty Grade module
Blackboard provides secure, private, online communication of FERPA-sensitive information in addition to group spaces where students and instructors can interact and exchange information that is not FERPA-sensitive. Restrictions that apply to your classroom teaching also apply in the Blackboard Learn environment, such as not allowing students to see others’ grades or graded work and not using external email to communicate FERPA-sensitive information.
- Why Blackboard (video, 2:19)
- Basics of Using Blackboard (video, 9 min)
- Create an Assignment in Blackboard (video, 9 min)
- Blackboard Tests (video, 12 min)
- Getting Started with Blackboard Groups (video, 7 min)
- Navigating the Grade Center (video, 10 min)
- UIC’s collection of Blackboard Tutorials (19 short videos)
Adding Content to Blackboard
Use the table below to guide your selection of complementary tools to manage content in Blackboard Text, Audio, and Video Use the Blackboard Learn Content Editor tool to directly add any of these features into a content Lecture Capture Record your lecture with Echo360 or Panopto Multimedia Create videos using Echo360 Universal Capture or Panopto Interactive Content Make interactive content using Camtasia, PowerPoint, Articulate, or Panopto Webinar Use Blackboard Collaborate or Zoom Slides, Documents, Quiz Questions Use Google Drive or Box. Embed OERs. Link textbook material using course cartridges provided by your textbook provider
Showcasing 3 Well-designed Blackboard Courses (1 hour)
- Webinar Recording
- Chat Transcript PDF
- PowerPoint Slides: Chris Kanich, UIC College of Engineering | Ed Garay, UIC School of Public Health | Kate Tredway, UIC College of Nursing
Real Engagement: Tips on Effective Use of Discussion Boards (52 min) | Alan Schwartz, director and faculty member for UIC’s online Master of Health Professions Education
- Webinar Recording
- Handout 1 – 2-Day Discussion Participation
- Handout 2 – Substantive Discussion Comments
- Chat Transcripts PDF
Using Blackboard Annotate to Effectively Grade Online Students (43 min) | Jamie Chriqui from the UIC School of Public Health’s Division of Health Policy and Administration