VoiceThread is an interactive collaboration tool available in Blackboard that can be used to encourage student discussion and build community in asynchronous learning settings.
Online discussion boards are usually text-based and can sometimes limit the types of conversations in online learning environments, whereas VoiceThread allows instructors to create multimedia content and generate a conversation around it using text, audio, and video. The conversations are not live; they take place whenever and wherever it's convenient for students to participate.
links to voicethread Heading link
more info 1
VoiceThread is supported in full in:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
VoiceThreads can be opened and viewed, but audio and video cannot be recorded in the following browsers. As these browsers evolve to support HTML5, this may change.
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer does not support HTML5 and therefore cannot be used with VoiceThread.
For the best possible experience, your web browser should be fully up to date, but at minimum no more than two versions behind.
- Use VoiceThread from any computer and web browser.
- Use VoiceThread on the iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
- Invite participation and collaboration from anyone, anytime, anywhere.
- Browse a curated library of VoiceThreads created by educators and students.
VoiceThread offers accessibility features that allows users to easily navigate and read the VoiceThread web interface. The web interface supports screen readers for all available creator and viewer interfaces. The web interface also support keyboard access, allowing you to use the tab key to access all available functions. All sessions fully support adding and displaying captions. For additional information on VoiceThread’s accessibility features, please visit VoiceThread’s Accessibility Conformance Report (WCAG Edition).
UIC Specific for Instructors
- Introduction to VoiceThread (video, 5:30 min)
- How to use VoiceThread in Blackboard (1 hr video)
- Foster Discussion with VoiceThread (quick guide, pdf)
- How do I create a VoiceThread? (article)
Non-UIC specific for Instructors
- How to Use VoiceThread LTI with Blackboard (video, 6:26 min)
- VoiceThread Digital Library (database of articles about successful VoiceThread projects)
- Grading Assignments (video, 4 min)
Tutorials for Students
- Accessibility features: On Screen Reader version, VPAT and Automated Captioning on Comments
- Video on how VoiceThread Automated Captioning works
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL) upcoming and recorded workshops
- Examples of VoiceThread in Higher Education
- VoiceThread Digital Library – Database of articles about successful VoiceThread projects that offers guidance and inspiration for people undertaking new projects.
- VoiceThread Mobile App video (2 min)
- VoiceThread YouTube channel – If you subscribe to their channel, you will receive their latest tutorials as soon as they post them
- VoiceThread Blog – You will find a number of guest posts from educators who use VoiceThread with their classes
- General Voice Thread workshops – Register for upcoming sessions or view the archives on the right side of the page
Research on the Efficacy of VoiceThread