Google Meet is part of Google’s G Suite for Education core tools. Before using Meet, users need to create a G Suite UIC account. Users can start a chat conversation, video call, or phone call using Wi-Fi with up to 100 people at a time. Meet sessions sync automatically across devices. Meet sessions started on a computer, can be continued on another device, such as a phone, for example.
links to Google Drive Heading link
- Start a video chat with one person or a group
- Call a phone from your computer using Wi-Fi or data
- Draw or doodle
- Use emojis
- Use pictures (or GIFs)
- Manage your Circles to quickly launch calls
- Schedule your Meet appointment
- Collaborate via Meet and Google Docs
- Watch YouTube videos with others
- Select your settings for communications with that specific user, such as notifications, Meet history, and blocking users
- Change the given bandwidth in Meet
- Active UIC Google Account
- A computer or phone with a camera and microphone
- Learn how to use your camera and microphone when you start a video call for the first time
- An internet or data connection
- Please review Classic Hangouts Acceptable Use Policy.
Google Workspace (known as G Suite) is a set of tools used for communication and collaboration. UIC has enabled Gmail, Drive, Docs (Sites, Sheets, Slides, and Forms), Meet, Groups, and Calendar.
Google Workspace (G Suite) core services do not contain advertising, nor do they use information in those services for advertising purposes. If you are an instructor or UIC service provider, please note you are legally prohibited from requiring the use of non-accessible services. Refer to GoogleApps@UIC and Accessibility for more information.
Before you can access any of the Google Workspace (G Suite) core products enabled at UIC, you must create an account. You will need a valid UIC NetID and common password.
The following steps will guide you in using Google Meet:
- Access your Google Drive and select the Google Apps icon on the right side of the screen (nine dots in the shape of a square).
- Select Meet to open a new browser window and select New meeting to open the options:
- Create a meeting for later – opens a pop up window with invitation to copy and share. Make sure to save a copy for you to use later.
- Start an instant meeting – opens a meeting and a pop up window to Add others and copy the invite.
- Schedule in Google calendar – opens a calendar event to add title, date, guests, and description. Once done click Save to schedule the Google Meet event.
You can add a tool link in your Original View course for students to access by going to the content area and selecting the tool link. You can add a tool link in your Ultra View course for students to access by going to the Books & Tools (under the Details & Actions panel on the left side of your course) and selecting the tool link.