Scholars for Teaching Excellence Faculty Fellowship (STEFF)
STEFF provides grounding in essential issues in health professions education.
“I feel revitalized about my teaching. It’s very easy to start feeling overwhelmed with all your clinical and teaching duties, but when you see that other people also care about the quality of your teaching, and spend time thinking about it, you realize that there is value beyond just ‘meeting your expectations’ as teaching faculty.”
Request a Consultation Heading link
Awards Heading link
Fellows meet on Tuesdays from 1:30-4:30 PM. The Fall 2022 session will focus on instructional skills and takes place beginning August 16, 2022 and continuing through December 13, 2022.
The Fellows will be coached on applying what they have learned to improving their teaching and curriculum development. Participants will create a portfolio of instructional or curricular materials appropriate for their educational work. Each Fellow will present aspects of her/his portfolio during the final session of the Fellowship.
The Fellowship is an excellent career development opportunity for faculty who play important roles in student and resident education.
STEFF provides grounding in essential issues in health professions education:
- Characteristics of effective teachers in health professions education
- Learner-centered teaching: instructional strategies for basic and clinical sciences including one-on-one teaching, small group teaching, effective lecturing, and using simulation in teaching
- Assessing, evaluating, and remediating learners
- Making sense of teaching evaluations
- Designing and conducting a needs assessment for curriculum development
- Selecting and sequencing educational activities in a curriculum
- Developing an evaluation plan for a curriculum
To apply for the faculty fellowship:
Participation in the fellowship requires a 5% FTE commitment on the part of the Fellow’s Department and Department Head. This commitment provides assurance that the Fellow will have the time available for participation in the workshops and completion of the project. All applications must have a letter of support from the Department Head.
Fellows must attend 90% of the classroom sessions and present his/her portfolio to successfully complete the program and receive a Fellowship certificate.
An application is available upon request. The application deadline for Fall 2022 is July 22, 2022.